Thursday, January 08, 2009

UPDATE

The January 8, 2009, meeting of Fayetteville Soto Zen Center
was short, owing to the weather. Most of us live far from the
Center, and the chance of freezing rains kept us on the alert.
I gave a brief review of a BBC interview with Donald Lopez,
chair of the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures. The
subject of the interview was the resurgence of interest in Buddhism,
available through a Google search.
Lopez said that at Michigan the course on Buddhism attracts
about 300 students every semester. He mentioned that owing to the
presence of the Dalai Lama, Tibetan Buddhism seems to have
displaced Zen in the popular imagination.

Well, that's enough for now. More to come in my next talk. Oh,
yes, I have a new, different, google site called "rovin' with Jack."
I hope any followers out there of "zentalks" will not be confused.
I will feel a bit confused myself, until the two settle down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home